Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day and Cupcakes



Now I know you are all wondering what Cupcakes have to do with Veteran's Day. You are, aren't you? Well, I'll tell you. Nothing, really, except that I have the day off from work because of Veteran's Day and I had to make 3 dozen cupcakes for my class "Cupcake Geology" science activity tomorrow. These cupcakes are no ordinary ones. They are representing the earth and its different layers. So I made up two yellow cake mixes and colored one part red, one part blue, and one part chocolate plus the left over yellow. That means I have four different layers I can combine into one cupcake. Tomorrow, I will talk about how scientists drill into the earth's crust and bring up a core sample which they can then analyze. Our core sampler tool is a clear straw which they drill down into their cupcake with. When they bring up the straw you can see all the layers of the cupcake. They then draw and color a picture of each core sample. It is one of the most fun and educational science activities I do all year. Of course, the kids get to eat their earth when the core samples have all been retrieved and documented.
Now back to Veteran's Day. This last week I had the son of one of our workroom aides come in and speak to the fourth grade about his experience at Marine boot camp in California. He wore his dress uniform but brought two of his camouflage uniforms and let the kids try them on. The boys and girls had some very thoughtful questions and were very interested in his infantry job. We also made cards for the Veteran's Hospital. One of my goals for my students this year is to help them appreciate and respect our Country and all those who serve us so that we can have the freedoms and rights that we have. We did Kids Voting at school and the whole student body got to vote, cast ballots, and get a sticker. It was neat.
Well, now you know what cupcakes and Veterans Day have to do with each other, at least on my planet. If you have the day off, enjoy, but remember you are getting the opportunity to rest and relax because there are now, and have been, men and women risking their lives for you to have the day off.
God Bless America!

No comments: