Sunday, February 3, 2008

In With the New and Out With the Old




In my classroom I have one white board and one real blackboard. For the last 10 years I have held on to that blackboard because of what it represents. To me, a school teacher has a blackboard. I never felt I could be a very good teacher if I didn't have the chalkboard to write on. When I was a little girl I always played school. Of course, I had to be the teacher. My parents bought me a blackboard and chalk to use in my pretend classroom.

I am one of only two teachers at Burk who still has a blackboard. So the princpal asked me the other day if I wanted to replace it with a new white board. I told him I had to think about it. The only positive reason to keep it is for the sentimental value. I took a very hard look at that board from a student's persepective. One, you can't read what is written on the blackboard as well as you can on the whiteboard. Two, it way more fun to write on the whiteboard than on the chalkboard. Now from my point of view. One, I am allergic to chalk and so I get to sneezing from the dust. Two, I won't need to have my overhead screen because I can use the white board for that. Three, the white board is smaller than the chalkboard and I will gain some wall space. Four, a white board is much easier to keep clean. No chalk dust.

So, I went back to the principal and told him I would venture into the 21st century and replace the old blackboard with a new white board. Now, I am debating on whether I am going to have to take some days off for grieving when the change is made.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I so wish that I had had you as a teacher when I was in 4th grade...how lucky I am to have you as my LIFE teacher...my mother! Those kids are very lucky to have you influence their life Mom :)

jennifer said...

I say take the chalkboard home with you :) I'm sure you could talk them into letting you have it! Wouldn't that be awesome to have in a basement/play area for the grandkids to play with?