Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sweet 16


Remember when you turned sixteen? I do! I remember I was so excited to be able to officially date, drive a car, and hang out with my friends until my, now later curfew of, midnight. For my 16th birthday party, I just wanted my friends (only) and I to do something that we hadn't been allowed to until that age. I also remember that I was selfish, self-centered, and thought my folks were "square."

On Friday night, I got to be an honored guest at a Sweet 16 party. I know I am way beyond 16 and I don't even teach 16 year olds. But at one time, I did teach kids who are now turning 16.

So, about three weeks ago, I get a phone call at school from a father of a former student of mine. He said,"We are having a surprise 16th birthday party for Erin on Mar. 28. We are inviting adults who have made an impact in her life and who have helped us mold her into the extraordinary young woman she is today. We would be delighted to have you come. You are one of only two teachers whom she remembers as really learning from and admiring and considers a role model." Needless, to say I readily accepted and showed up to surprise Erin. She was not at all embarrassed to be surrounded by 15 "Old" women and was truly touched that we would come to honor her. Little does she know, that that honor was what I felt as a result of her acknowledgement of me and my efforts as her 4th grade teacher. This experience is why I get up each morning and go to school hoping to make an impact in a 10 year old's life. Not necessarily an academic one, but one in which their character is changed for the better.

I completed a scrapbook page for her book and I included these words of wisdom:

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness
is trading what we want MOST for
what we want at the moment."

1 comment:

Yellow Barn Girl said...

What a wonderful story. You have probably impacted many lives. You have made a difference in mine. By the way I love the quote you gave her. It is kind of my quote....the one I recite over and over when I am contemplating a decision. Who knows I might of heard it from you.
Love ya
Kimball