Sunday, January 20, 2008

Shallow and Deep

Today I will write about some very deep thoughts and then some extremely shallow ones. First, the deep.

We had Stake Conference today. Usually I just go to conference out of obligation and/or fear of being struck by lightning. Today was no different. I armed myself with my purse, scriptures, and the new Ensign. All of these I could use if the speakers were boring or their talks were not relevant to me. I sat down in the back (the back meaning; deep in the bowels of the cultural hall). I always sit on an end seat, probably so I can get up and go get a drink or use the restroom and not have to climb over a bunch of legs or kids' toys on the floor. So I sat down and there were about five chairs between myself and the next person. I sat there for a few minutes enjoying being by myself, when I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked up. Standing there was one of my neighbors He is about 65 years old. He asked me if he could sit next to me. I said ok. When he sat down, I asked him where his wife was, and he said she was home sick. Now, I am definitely not in the market for a new companion and so when he sat there and then NO one else came to sit beside him, I panicked. Will strangers think we are together? Will friends think he is hitting on me, or vice versa? Will busybodies run and tell his wife we were together? Will I be receiving a phone call from the Bishop when I get home, wanting to "talk" to me? Will there be a Church Court? How will I explain my excommuniction to my kids? Will I ever see Chuck again? Will we be in different kingdoms? Is it really hot down there?
I'm sure my breathing was labored and my eyes were dilating! Is this what a panic attack is like?

Then the Stake Choir began the opening song, and I woke up! (fooled you, didn't I? ha, ha)

The conference was really wonderful. First of all, one of the speakers was a woman in the Stake YW presidency and a convert. I have had three of her eight kids in my classroom. A few years ago, our stake president challenged each family to write a Family Proclamation. She spoke about how profound her family's was, and how writing it had brought them together and how it had showed love for each other. I started thinking about our family proclamation and what a wonderful experience it was to work together to decide on just what our family stood for and what our eternal goals were. I would like to share it with you.


THE FRENTHEWAY FAMILY PROCLAMATION 1998
Friendly, faithful, followers of Jesus Christ
Repentant, righteous, always remembering Him.
Excellent examples of His love, as we
Nurture one another.
Teachable, thoughtful, thankful for one another.
Humble, helpful, honest, and happy.
Eternally goal seeking.
Willing, warm workers
Accepting, accountable and active,
Yearning for and yielding to the Spirit of God.
I hadn't read it in a long time and it seemed a good thing to review at the beginning of this new year. Another profound thought she presented came from a talk by Dallin Oaks. He said: " At the final judgment, it's not about what we've done in life, but it's about what we've become. Have we become more like the Savior?"
Each and every day, I think back about that day and try to come up with
things that I am grateful for. That thought is on my list for today.
Now for the shallow. I have had a really long three day weekend and I was looking forward to that. It was MLK holiday. But, I have literally wasted the time. I went to get my nails done, went to Target, went to a movie (Atonement- don't spend money on it), bought four tacos at Jack in the Box (they are very greasy and good), watched Pride and Prejudice (1939) on TV, read the People magazine, surfed the Web, watched more TV, slept in until 7AM, ate tons of chocolate, bought a Vanilla Creme at Starbucks (thanks, Rach, for getting me hooked on those), fretted about money and taxes and why my car insurance is so high, killed some weeds in the front yard, transferred photos from my camera into my computer, checked my e-mail 15 times, read the newspaper, washed dishes using the dishwasher, and just enjoyed myself being lazy and doing irresponsible things. I was definitely throwing Chuck's adage about life out the window. You know:" Remember, today is the only day you have." But, what a theraputic and freeing weekend it has been. I will put this frivolity on my list of things to be grateful for, too.

No comments: